EXTRACTIONS & ORAL SURGERY
- Trauma or Tooth Decay
- A crowded mouth
- Risk of infection
- Take medication as prescribed.
- Leave the gauze pad in place for three to four hours after the extraction.
- Apply ice for 10 minutes at a time to the affected area immediately after the procedure to keep down swelling.
- Relax for at least 24 hours after the extraction. Limit activity for the next day or two.
- Avoid rinsing or spitting forcefully for 24 hours after the extraction to avoid dislodging the clot that forms in the socket.
- After 24 hours, rinse with your mouth with a solution made of 1/2 teaspoon salt and 8 ounces of warm water.
- Avoid using a straw for the first 24 hours.
- Do not smoke.
- Eat soft foods the day after the extraction.
- Prop your head with pillows when lying down.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth to help prevent infection.